Tuesday, May 27, 2014

To the Grad Class of 2014,

YOU GUYS.

Grad is finally here. It's fast approaching - hell, it's three days away.

Naturally, like many other fantastic and exciting things that has come to be in my past, I always get sick. Always, without fail. So being completely healthy before grad should have made me laugh because I should have known better. I would get sick.

However, having the time at home and the time alone really gave me time to contemplate and think about where I am now, who I have become, and what I hope to achieve in the next chapter of my life.

Despite the fact that I have lost my voice (but what else is new) and my back is really sore and my head pounding and thudding like there's no tomorrow, I am truly grateful for everything that has happened. Okay, so maybe my immune system could use some work. But this year, and the past 13 years of schooling, has taught me so much.

To the graduates of 2014,

We finally made it. Here we are, at a time and place that we have probably all thought once or twice in our past that we would never make it. There were times where we thought that graduation was too far away and didn't come soon enough. There were times where we were so caught up with the fear of our future that we couldn't enjoy what it truly meant to be young. We were once so overburdened by what people thought, what people said, and what it meant to keep up with the times that we couldn't appreciate who we were and what we could do.

But right here, at this moment, we have come to the realization that we are enough and we have conquered something massive.

What once seemed far out of reach is right at our fingertips, just close enough to touch. We are at the realm of adulthood, ready to move on from the environment that we have once called our school community to various campuses all over the map, becoming one of many and making new friends. After much stress and planning, the time has finally come to celebrate the fruits of our labor. The path maybe uncertain, but put your trust in God. This is where the true adventure begins.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are among the next generation of doctors, lawyers, engineers, teachers, fashion designers, journalists, technicians, men and women of the armed forces and famous royalty. There is no limit to what we can do and what we can achieve. Remember to do what you love.

I hope to one day be able to turn on the television and see one of the many people that I have once sat in class with being interviewed. Maybe one of us will have discovered the cure to cancer, created a new and cutting edge piece of technology or become the next Prime Minister. We all have so much potential to do great things, and I hope that you all realize that at this point.

As we prepare to embark on this new chapter of our lives, take care of yourselves. Enjoy the moment - it only comes once in a lifetime.



So cheers, Grad XIV. Here's to a whole new world. Stay true, be you, and spill some more ink while you're doing so.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. - 1 Peter 5:7

1 comment: